Sunday, March 1, 2009

I don't hate Wesley; I never did

I've spent a god awful amount of this weekend reading Wil Wheaton's blog. Not only his blog, but also his TNG reviews on TV Squad.

Currently I'm working my way through his everlasting archives, preparing myself for the time I meet myself when I started reading him.

I like him so much I can sort of overlook the jabs he takes at teachers. In fact, it's made me almost rethink the whole "get over it" attitude I have when people complain about being scarred for life by their high school experience. Then again, if I started thinking everything I did as a teacher could potentially scar someone for life, I'd never be able to teach and would give coloring projects and automatic A's (not unlike a couple of my colleagues).

I think I knew I loved him when he wrote about a running car joke he plays with his son: if he sees a truck with hay in it, he'll shout, "Hey!"

I thought I was the only person in the world to do that. I have two running car jokes- the aforesaid and when I pass a cow, I say, "Moooooo. Cow." I've been known to do this even when there's no passengers in my car.

He's this decent guy who can write and happens to have an interesting past that colors most of what he discusses.

I kind of regret the hours devoted to his archives, but they weren't a waste of time.

No comments: